Saturday 14 March 2020

3D-printing tanks... pt. III: Ram

Another tank I am keen to add to my collection is the Canadian built Ram cruiser tank... While this vehicle won't fit in with my U.S. or German forces (well, I could always substitute one or two for a couple of Shermans), it might just be the start of a British/Canadian project. At the very least it will see service in our games of What a Tanker!


The files for this model can be found here, courtesy of Thingiverse and the designer, m_bergman...

This is what my desk looks like...
I have set up several files with different configurations. I decided to print the early and late version, both with the 6-pounder gun. After a little bit of cutting and pasting in Tinkercad I adapted the design to accommodate a set of small magnets. I also hollowed out the end of the gun's barrel...



The first two Rams were laid-out with a horizontally printed turret. While the rest of the vehicle printed quite well, this resulted in two crooked barrels. Apart from the barrels, the bottom of the turret wasn't as tight as it should be due to support failure and the hulls suffered some damage due to excess support (both totally my own fault).

Crooked barrel...
The difference in quality is obvious. 
After that I decided to tweak the set-up in Chitubox. I placed the turret verticaly, with the barrel pointing up and I removed a couple of unnecessary supports which were damaging detail on the hull.

Little detail shot of the damaged portion of the fenders...
Hollowed out barrel and magnethole (if that's even a word)...
The two versions... Both miniatures still need some clean-up and curing but
I am happy with the results.
The second and third batch came out a lot better. Which demonstrates (again) that working with Chitubox is a learning experience...

Third batch, fresh out of the printer...

For the fourth run I have set the layer height to 0.025mm instead of the standard 0.05mm... Doubling the print time, but worth waiting for if it will improve the quality of the model even further.

Left the print at 0.025mm and Ram on the right at 0.05mm...
Admitted, the difference is small, very small, barely visible with the naked eye and I doubt it will be visible at all when the miniature is painted. But I think it's worth the extra time...

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant models, I envy your technical skills

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the compliment. As I mentioned it is a learning experience, but for the most part it worked out great...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Printing the hull as a Ram Kangaroo should be a very simple conversion to do. Very nice and I'm thinking I will want to get a 3D printer sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct, but I have the file for a Ram Kangaroo ready to go... In fact, it's pretty high on my to-print-list:)

      If you are going to purchase a printer, check out this post: https://toysoldiersofftowar.blogspot.com/2020/02/going-to-mars-preparing-for-launch.html

      It contains a lot of info on what you'll need to get started.

      Delete