Saturday 7 March 2020

3D-printing tanks... pt. II: 6-Rad

While technically not a tank, I think it's still worth posting...

This 6-Rad was a bit of a test for the printer (and for my support-skills in Chitubox, too). The model features a lot of thin and fragile pieces. Most of these fine details printed without any problems, but I managed to damage a few bits while removing the supports. No major damage, but a reminder I should be more careful next time...

The Sd.Kfz. 232 6-Rad...

The Sd.Kfz. 231/232 6-Rad is s vehicle that has been missing from my collection of Flames of War miniatures. Mainly because I limited myself to only using plastic models for my German armies, and so far no plastic 6-Rads are available. Now, with the possibilities of my new printer, I just had to add at least one...

The freshly finished print...

The lay-out of the build plate... 
To ensure I would be able to remove the more fragile pieces without breaking them, I spaced them in a way that they were supported individually. The aerial and turret in particular have some very thin parts...

The finished print...
A quick mock-up...
The finished prints... Two regular Sd.Kfz. 231 6-Rads and a 232 with antenna...


These prints came out great! As before, a print is only ever as good as it's design...  This particular design is very well done and highly detailed. It is made by TigerAce1945 and can be found on Thingiverse. Best of all, it is available for free...

During cleaning I spotted a few point where I could have placed better supports. Working with Chitubox is a learning experience...


No comments:

Post a Comment