Saturday 21 March 2020

3D-printing a complete army... pt. I

Well, almost complete... I won't be printing the infantry for this project, but apart from that, everything else will come out of my Elegoo MARS 3D-printer...

As can be deduced by looking at the previous posts, I am slowly building a British/ Canadian company for games like Flames of War, Battlegroup or I Ain't Been Shot Mum.

While 3D-printing is by no means a fast process, a single print consisting of two vehicles takes an average of nine hours to complete (and that's excluded the cleaning and curing), but printing almost non-stop yields results...

The start of the projec: Rams, Shermans and Stagjhounds...
In most cases the level of detail in these prints is almost as good as other resin, plastic and metal models. In some respects it's even better, sometimes by far...

Staghounds... I have four different turrets available for these models...

Dailmer Armoured car and Dingo's, Staghound turrets and an Archer...

Ram Kangaroos... You will be hard-pressed to find a place that sells these...

I can't take any credit for these designs. Most of these were done by m_bergman, they can be found here
The Daimler armoured car was done by Kharn3655 and can be found here. This design comes with two different turrets, both of which I printed.

Daimler armoured car, with both turret options... All are magnetized...

I did adapt most of these designs to accommodate a set of magnets. I also hollowed out all of the barrels. 

At the moment I am printing the last couple of Shermans for this little project. I hope the paint, decals and infantry wil arrive tomorrow so I can begin the second phase of this project: painting!

2 comments:

  1. Looking good, you are getting great use out of that printer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am, this machine continues to amaze me... I am slowly realising there are very few limits indeed...

      Delete