Wednesday 23 October 2019

Milling around...

Adding a mill to my scenery set has been something of a wish ever since I started my mordheim board, more than ten years ago. For my 15mm Flames of War, too, adding a windmill to my scenery was always high on my list of things to do... Even so, I never got round to it.

Until now, that is... Making scenery in this scale is a lot easier, though it offers it's own set of challenges.

Building a mill required some research as there are so many different types. Sure, I might be from the Netherlands, living just 15 km from the renowned windmills of Kinderdijk, but I needed some background...

De twee Gebroeders, wipmolen op stelling,Harlingen, Netherlands

De Rat, zaagmolen op stelling, IJlst, Netherlands

Dybbøl Mølle, Sonderborg, Denmark

I decided on building a zaagmolen, or sawmill on a stelling, a raised platform. This kind of mill can be found all around North-Western Europe, with differences in style. 

First up, windmills are big... Not just big, but, like, very, VERY BIG... Even at this scale I wanted my mill to reflect this. A proper windmill should tower over it's surroundings.

The construction was a bit challenging. The shape of the building, though a regular octagon, was a pain to get right...

Octagons... I was smart enough to make a back-up...

The tapered octagon... 

Early mock-up...
After I managed the basic shape, making the rest of the structure was actually quite easy... Below is a sort of step-by-step of how I built my mill.







Apart from the railing (a re-purposed 1:87 ladder) the whole mill is scratch built from just foam and plastic.

I had originally planned to make a larger, multi-Hex module with multiple buildings but ultimately decided to put the mill on a single Hex. This way, it's much easier to combine the mill with other Hexes...

I magnetised the vanes, using the magnets as axle.

Magnetised windmill...

Two shots, showing the mill alongside the other new modules. Even though most of the surrounding buildings are three or four stories tall, the windmill clearly sticks out...




2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is very nice work. The magnetised vanes are a clever way to go - easy to remove and store I guess with less chance of damaging them. Did you make a jig or anything to cut the octagon or just by freehand? I may need to have a bash at this 6mm buildings stuff! you make it look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your feedback!

    Thd octagons were done by hand, but with the aid of my Proxxon table cutter. Even so, it took me a few tries to get them right.

    Making 6mm buildings is a lot easier than I expected. A lot more fun, too... And it saves me a lot of money;)

    ReplyDelete