Saturday 12 October 2019

If you go down to the woods today...

I have been adding a couple of trees to my 6mm scenery...

I make my trees myself from 0.5mm steel wire. In addition to the trees I fix onto the Hexes I make trees on bases.

The unpainted trees and bases... The bases are cut from 0.75mm plasticard...

The bases are cut in a way that they can interlock and form a larger forest...

The trees are based in two ways, in clusters of three and as single trees. All of the other terrain and scenery items are fixed on the Hexes. The custered and individual trees give me a modicum of flexibility. They can easily be grouped together to create a larger wooded area or can be placed to break up open spaces or to interrupt long sightlines...

An example of one of the cluster bases...
The new additions of today, five clusters and three single trees...
All the trees I made so far...
The trees combined to form a larger forest...

I use three different shades of green clump foliage from Woodland Scenics. When combined, these give a quite realistic appearance. The irregular shapes of the trees and the difference in height and width add to the overall appearance...

1 comment: