Monday 23 September 2019

Musings on terrain...

For this 6mm Hex terrain project I make everything myself, Hexes, buildings, roads and trees, all is made from scratch...

As all the Hexes are shaped by hand and are very versatile and flexible in use to start with, I decided to use as much fixed terrain features as possible. For example, roads would be drawn directly onto the Hexes, rivers would be carved into the Hexes and buildings would be glued in place. This appraoch has several advantages (for me at least), the main one being a cohesive look without many pieces of loose scenery.

At the moment only trees are made on separate bases (some of them, a large portion of the trees I made are fixed on the Hexes as well). For the trees I use a thin, flexible and strong steel wire... Almost 100 meters of it have been twisted into trees and another 200 meters of steel wire are in the mail, arriving tomorrow. I will be adding a lot more trees to the set...

Now the river is finished, the next phase will be to add some sort of village. Getting buildings and roads to fit together on a Hex can be a bit tricky, so I plan on making several multi-Hex bases. Most my buildings were made before my Hex Terrain Toolkit even arrived. I may have been a bit overambitious, as they are pretty big (I ended up making whole rows of houses)...

Below are two pictures from another Blog (Northernwedding), designed for post WW2 combat. The Hex terrain you can find here has been a huge source of inspiration for my own project. These multi-Hex village tiles are something I really want to try for myself...



No comments:

Post a Comment