Sunday 23 August 2020

3D-printing Feudal Guard... pt. VI

As part of the TMC-Patreon for August another upgrade kit for the Feudal Guard was released. 

The FG upgrade kit...

Included in the upgrade kit are two whole sets of armoured bodies. The first half are just what I was waiting for to use for my standard Guardsmen. I love the original designs, but their style doesn't match the rest of the range as it is quite rounded while most of the other models are anything but, with sharp angles and edges... 

A comparison of the two versions... 

Both models are still very similar and could even be used together without a problem, at a glance you might not even notice the difference...

Thus far I have printed, and painted, mostly the elite troops (quite logical as I originally wanted to build a Kill team) and I have come to like their particular style. I really wanted my regular troopers to match that flavour... 

As soon as the kit became available for download, I went to work... With the arms and helmets from last months upgrade kit it's very easy to build a full squad of Guardsmen. 

Three full prints yielded a squad of 12 fully equipped troopers, including the same named bases I use for the rest of my models (these add just a little bit extra detail to the growing formation). I left the Sergeant quite basic, with just his standard chainsword and laspistol. It's easy enough to print another Sergeant and equip him with different weapons should the need arise. I cannot emphasize enough how big of an advantage this is as opposed to buying models like this in a box, where special components are always scarce... The same goes for the special weapons. For now, a meltagun and plasmagun are more than enough, but more of the same or different weapon options are readily available. I can remember, many years ago, before the convenience of online shopping, that I had great difficulty getting my hands on enough special weapons to equip my Guardsmen. Those particular blisters were never available and I ended up buying several command squad boxes for just those parts...



These troopers will first be used in Kill Team, but ultimately I want this squad to be one of the first complete units for my new Astra Militarum force for 40K... I might just use the current sale at CG-trader as an excuse to pick up a transport for these guys...

Another model I printed and put together is a new Sergeant for my Storm Troopers. I always liked the classic Kasrkin Sergeant model.


Equipped with a hotshot laspistol which is attached to his backpack with a power cable, just like the hotshot lasguns of the other Stormtroopers. This was a simple digital conversion, I cut the power cable from one of the special weapons and pasted it onto the arm with the pistol. Not as smooth as I would have liked, but it does the job.

The Stormtrooper Sergeant...

A little wink...


No comments:

Post a Comment