Tuesday 24 December 2019

Hexes, Hexes everywhere... pt. IX

I finished another set of Hexes, two crossroads, a house and the mill...

While the other Hexes are all practical and I am quite contend with those, the real star of this update should be the mill.

The original post with w.i.p. shots of the mill

Building the mill was fun and a bit challenging and I must admit I put off painting it, fearing I would botch it up with a dodgy paint job...



Both the new buildings and one of the intersections, all put together in this section of the board. I really like the way the mill stands out, it towers over it's surroundings, making it a focal point of the battlefield... When I create a new set-up of the board, I will most likely put it on top of the hill.

The pictures below give a good view of the terrain so far...




There are several pieces in progress, including the second multi-Hex town module, two new bridges and another two Hexes with buildings. All these smaller buildings should give me the option to either expand my village or dot them across the battlefield... Nothing beats a bit of hard cover...

Over the next couple of weeks I want to make another batch of snowflake Hexes to expand the surface of my Hex battlefield. More flat Hexes, roads, fields and hills are also high on my list of things I should make.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic work! I've enjoyed reading back through your posts and following your progress with the hexes. I recently purchased the Hex Terrain Toolkit myself, so looking forward to getting properly started with it. Can I ask...did you find it easy enough to modify for use with the Proxxon cutter? I'm thinking about investing in one, since it I'm thinking it will speed up making the basic hexes at least. Thanks again for sharing. All the best, Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kevin,

    Thank you! Adapting the Toolkit to be used with the Proxxon was quite easy, just drilling a few holes in the wooden masters. Making the basic Hexes is really a matter of minutes. So far I have yet to find a piece of the Toolkit that doesn't work with the Proxxon. Feel free to get/keep in touch, I will be happy to answer all your questions.

    Be sure to check out the following post: https://toysoldiersofftowar.blogspot.com/2019/10/review-hex-terrain-toolkit.html

    Martijn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Martijn, thanks for replying. That's good to know regards the proxxon cutter. I'll probably decide to get one at the end of the month, and will share my own progress with the toolkit. Your hex-building is a great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kevin,

      No problem at all... I would like to see your own project, too. Glad my Hexes can inspire you, as most of my own inspiration was found omline.
      I will post a small 'how to' post on adapting the Toolkit to be used with the Proxxon, it was really easy...

      May I ask, how did you find my blog?

      Delete