Monday 23 December 2019

Zu bewaffnen! Mustering the army... pt. II

Slowly but surely my force grows...

Painting all those little tanks and vehicles is quite different from what I am used to... On one hand, due to their size, painting them is quick. On the other hand, it's a challenge to get all the details across. Things like tools, spare tracks and tow cables are often so small it's hard to get some decent colour on them to make them noticable...

The motorpool so far...
The three models on the left are 3D prints from Shapeways, the rest is GHQ...
Early War German panzers are grey, no two ways about that. I tried to keep the models as light as possible. The first few models were decorated with decals but the results weren't quite what I expected. In the end I decided to paint over the decals and stopped using them altogether. Very few of the miniatures have enough flat surface to put them on neatly, even with decal softener...

One of the prototypes with decal... 

I am thinking about adding crew to the open topped vehicles, just to add a touch of realism and a bit more detail... Just a matter of making them fit, I suppose...

On another note, I just received my order from Heroics & Ross. I am very impressed with their infantry, so much that I am already putting together a new order! I also purchased several gliders to go with the Fallschirmjäger I ordered. Neat little aircraft that will provide some tactical options.


2 comments:

  1. Oooooh looking good! Saw you joined the TFL forum as well. Really nice to see your work getting deserved praise.

    How do you find the 3D printed vehicles? It seems like a decent way to get some of the less obvious vehicles?
    Thank you,
    Gillies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The TFL forum is a nice place, thanks for directing me there!

    The 3D-printed tanks are a perfect way to get those rare vehicles. Detail is a bit less sharp than the GHQ vehicles but still very good...

    ReplyDelete