Tuesday 25 February 2020

Going to MARS... Preparing for launch...

As stated in my plans for 2020 I really want to get started with resin 3D-printing... This type of machine is well suited to print highly detailed models used for wargaming, be it miniatures or scenery...

"3D-printing...
I already have a bit of experience when it comes to 3D-printing, as I have an Ultimaker 2+ in my classroom. While this is an excellent printer, it's hardly suited to print 15mm or 6mm miniatures. At the moment I am saving up to purchase a resin 3D-printer, most likely an Elegoo Mars, preferably the updated Pro version... This type of resin printer has become surprisingly affordable and seems to yield impressive results..."

During the last month I have gathered all the materials needed to start this new project. Printing in resin can yield impressive results, but also requires some precautions as the resin the machine works with is highly toxic...

The resin... I opted to go with the water washable resin as it saves me the
additional hassle of working with 95% Isopropyl Alcohol (or IPA).
This water washable resin is relatively new. Earlier types of resin needed to be cleaned with 95% IPA, which in itself is a hazardous substance... As I will be operating this machine in my gaming/hobby room I preferred the water washable variant... Slightly more expensive (but only slightly) it was not a difficult choice. The additional cost is easily covered by not having to spend any money on the IPA.

So far, I have two bottles of grey resin. For someone used to plastic and resin miniatures, this colour is quite familiar and reassuring... As most of my prints will be painted anyway, the colour of the resin is not a big issue. For future, more special projects, I might get some different colours.

Nitrile gloves... You really want to avoid any skin contact with the resin...
Safety goggles... You don't want the resin on your skin and certainly
not near your eyes...
As mentioned, you really, really, really want to avoid contact with the resin... Disposable gloves and a pair of safety glasses (these are big enough to cover my own spectacles) are essential.

The ubiquitous pickle jars... The strainer will make it easier to rinse models
of uncured resin... 
A set of plastic scrapers... 
A funnel and fine paint strainer to feed any left-over resin back into the bottle...

While the items shown above are almost mandatory, the next two appliances are entirely optional... You can clean your prints just fine in a jar of water and curing the resin can also be done in the sun...

An ultra sonic cleaner... This machine will ensure even the hard to reach areas
of the prints are thoroughly cleaned...
An ultra-violet light... The UV-light is needed to fully cure the resin.
If all else fails, I can always start my own nail salon... 
As you can see, you need quite a bit of tools and supplies to get started... Not pictured above are a metric tonne of paper towels, some micro fibre cloth and a respirator. When we next visit IKEA, I plan to buy a couple of larger plastic containers to be able to clean the resin vat and print plate...

So, now I have everything I need, except for the 3D-printer itself... As mentioned, I had set my sights on the Elegoo Mars, a very affordable resin 3D-printer. The updated version, the Mars Pro, was released last month but I haven't been able to pick one up... Initial supplies were very limited and due to the outbreak of the Corona virus, production in the Chinese factory has come to a halt. Mind, I appreciate the gravity of the situation, and this is by no means a complaint. I understand the necessity of this precaution and can only hope the situation will quickly improve...

However... Rather than wait for the unknown resupply date of the Mars Pro, I decided to get a regular Mars instead. When the Pro does become available again, I might always get second printer (should I feel the need to do so)... The money I saved by getting the regular Mars instead of the Pro was spent on another bottle of resin.

The printer is set to arrive this friday and I can't wait to get started! Expect 3D-printer related updates soon... 

No comments:

Post a Comment