Thursday 23 January 2020

It's all about the base... pt. II

Even before I started my 6mm project I had given the concept to base my vehicles some thought...

Basing is for infantry, and not for tanks. This has always been my point of view, but with this smaller scale I started having some second thoughts...

Pro's:
  • Adding a base will surely provide the models with some protection, both in storage and on the battlefield...
  • Bases offer a way to visually tie a force together...
  • Adding a base will make the smaller vehicles less likely to get lost on a table densely filled with terrain...
Cons:

  • Basing is for infantry, not for vehicles...
  • Adding a base will limit the vehicles possibilities to be placed in/near terrain...
  • The static grass I have now is too large for the scale to be used on the bases...

My main objection is that basing vehicles shouldn't impede mobility and placement on the tabletop. To try and make sure this is kept to a minimum I will be working with several different sized bases, keeping as close to the size of the models as possible.

If I am to go through with this, I am planning to cut the bases from 0.5mm plasticard. The bases will be rectangular or square in shape. Basing will be consistent throughout the entire force, providing a common factor in infantry, vehicles and artillery...

The bases will be covered with some textured paint and grass. The rough ground will match the colour of the dirt on the tracks/wheels of the vehicles and of my terrain. I think I will be using two or three different shapes and sizes, depending on the size of the vehicle...

Feel free to share your views and experience on the subject as I am still undecided...

No comments:

Post a Comment