Saturday 27 March 2021

Welcome to the Dungeon; getting lost in D&D... pt. I

While the Dungeon-project is well over a decade old, it has rarely been used for any serious gaming. Over the years we played some WFRP-games in it, some Morheim and Warhammer skirmish and even a few games of Dungeons & Panzers (patent pending), but we never played Dungeons & Dragons...

Well, today I had a test-session, together with my long-time gaming buddy. It was his first game of D&D and my first time as DM...


I set up a small, two level dungeon for this first run... I tried to include quite a lot of furnishing, giving the dungeon (well, actually it was the basement of a brewery) an inhabited feel...

Due to having had a very busy week at work/school I hadn't worked out a full scenario. We had prepared his first character (an Elf Druid) earlier and put together a second one (a Dwarf Fighter) on the spot. As this session was meant as an exercise in exploration and combat, the background of the characters was minimal at best. 

I tried to enhance the game by giving detailed descriptions of the walk through the rooms and corridors, something I really need to learn... 

For a first game, it went rather well... As is typical for my buddy, his very first dice roll was a natural 20, a feat he repeated another four times over the session... We had to look up almost every single rule, but as the afternoon progressed the pace quickened. We ironed out quite a few issues and I now have a pretty clear idea of what direction I want to take...

We managed to learn quite a few things and I gained a lot of respect for the way the DM of the game I play in organizes his sessions...





No comments:

Post a Comment