Monday 20 April 2020

3D-printing dungeon decor... pt. IV

While digging through Thingiverse, something I started doing on a daily basis now I have my Elegoo MARS, I found a set of medieval suits of armour. According to the creator, these are from Fable III, which would explain why I felt I had seen them before.

Immediately I thought of filling the halls of my dungeon with these pieces...

The first print turned out too small (my own doing as I scaled the model to 35mm), in this smaller scale the sword proved too thin to be printed properly. To fix this I imported the file in Tinkercad and put in another sword I thickened considerably.

Compared to the first print I further enlarged the next batch by 15%, bringing the suits of armour more in line with the rest of my dungeon furniture.


The suit of armour in the middle is one from the first batch, both the models
 on the outside are from the last print. 

When compared to a miniature the suits of armour look a bit oversized, but next to the other pieces of furniture they look just right.


The suit of armour comes in two variants, one with a sword and one without... 

I printed 24 suits of armour in two prints of 12 each...
I based the suits of armour on small, round MDF bases. The small bases allow easy placement all throughout the dungeon.

Below are a couple of examples of how I want to use these.





The small, recessed arches are a perfect fit for these armours, but because they have such a small footprint they can be placed just about anywhere. I hope these new pieces will add to the medieval atmosphere I am trying to create for my dungeon.

I will be painting these soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment